Follow my blog

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Okinawa Prison Craft Fair

I saw an advertisement for a craft fair at the Okinawan prison.  I immediately decided that we had to go - who could pass up a trip to a Japanese prison?   The crafts were supposed to be made by the prisoners, which I found really cool.  This was mostly advertised in Japanese with very little information available in English, so we didn't really know what to expect.  When we got there, the craft fair was set up outside the prison and the people selling the crafts, didn't look like prisoners.  Plus, there was a high school symphony that performed, along with a Japanese theatrical group of women.  

So, off we went in search of crafty things.  


This is the group of Japanese performers that I mentioned above.  We didn't stay to see them perform.

Here is the High School Symphony.  They were performing Christmas Carols.


Here is Brock attracting the attention of several Japanese women.  To that point, we were the only Americans that we saw.  I know the base had taken a bus tour their earlier in the day, but they were all gone by the time we got there, so we definitely drew our fair amount of stares.

We ended up with a wooden puzzle for Brock and Reagan picked out some small wind chimes and that was about it.  I sort of kicked myself for not looking at the Bingata paintings closer.  I'll explain Bingata in another post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment